Saturday, May 14, 2011

Toys 'R' Us is a must-see Times Square attraction


Being a true New Yorker requires a few things.  First, always give directions even if you don’t know the way.  Second, always let someone know if they’re about to step in dog poop.  Third, always show disdain for Times Square, and dismiss it as a tourist trap.

I’ve got the first two qualifications down, but despite my best efforts, cannot master the third.  I love Times Square.  There, I said it. I will forever be a wide-eyed tourist, with my breath taken away by the lights and the people and all the superheroes waiting to take a picture with me.  I love to take my friends there when they visit, and I especially love to take my son there on any given day, especially when we need some thrills on the cheap.

Our destination is always the Times Square Toys ‘R’ Us, on Broadway and 44th  (1514 Broadway 646-366-8800.) This place is right in the middle of everything.  There is a hum of energy that kind of bounces off your head as you walk in the door.  Not only is your picture being taken by some (possibly over-eager) store photographers, but you are staring at a gigantic 60-foot Ferris Wheel which spans four stories and features characters from Monopoly, Scooby Doo (our favorite!), Toy Story and a kind of weird Cabbage Patch Kids car.  I have not yet seen a child who doesn’t loose their mind when entering this store.  Warning: many adults become child-like as well upon entrance.

At $4.00 per passenger, riding the Ferris Wheel is an economical (and fun) way to get acquainted with the 110,000 square-foot store.  You glide past the Nintendo jumbo screen where games can be played for free.  You get a glimpse of the five-ton, 20 ft. high, 34-foot long animatronic T-Rex dinosaur.  The assortment of colors and sugar in the Candy-Land themed candy shop can also tempt you, while you prepare yourself to work off the sugar high taking a tour of a two-story Barbie House within the store.

There are typically demonstrations happening around every corner on every floor, showcasing the latest in technology, toys, and art. These demonstrations are interactive, and always free.  After getting your fill of video games, roaring dinosaurs, flying airplanes, and exploring Candy Land, I have one more suggestion before you head home.

Around the corner from Toys ‘R’ Us is Junior’s Most Fabulous Cheesecake & Desserts.  This place originally opened up in Brooklyn, and quickly became famous for its delicious cheesecake.  And you know what this New Yorker is saying?  It’s no joke.  For a decadent post Toys ‘R’ Us dessert date, head there. My pick is the Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake.  You might want to send me a thank you note afterwards. Junior’s is located on West 45th street between Broadway an 8th Avenue.  Call them at 212-302-2000.